Lewis Michael Hansen
• Public Relations • Advertising • Public Affairs • Social Media •
• Copywriting • Event Planning • Speech Writing • Media Relations • IMC •
Director of Public Relations • The Modern Brand Company
I manage public relations for an extensive public health campaign called Champions for Health (and its sub-campaign, Smokefree Alabama) for the Jefferson County Health Action Partnership. In addition to extensive news coverage and social media success, the partnership has achieved many “wins” in the arena of public policy. (One city councilor went so far as to cite media saturation as a reason for moving forward with a vote on an initiative.) Since taking the reins of the PR department at TMB, our client base has grown consistently. I manage public relations for seven clients and contribute to other business accounts as needed.
PR & Marketing Coordinator • Birmingham Botanical Gardens
April 2008—April 2011
Working under the director of marketing, I was in charge of traditional public relations at The Gardens, as well as its first-ever social media strategy, making it the most-followed institution in Alabama at the time of my departure. I also managed website content, introduced a new email newsletter, and acted as assistant editor for The Garden Dirt — a member newsletter (print). Each of those owned media won awards during my tenure at The Gardens.
Intern • Seigenthaler Public Relations
I learned the tricks of the trade from the communications geniuses at Nashville’s award-winning Seigenthaler Public Relations. I learned the art of the pitch, the import of presentation, and how to manage a project.
M.A., Public Relations • The University of Alabama
I completed my coursework with a 3.8 GPA in 2010 and have been working on my thesis — a case study on the role of public relations in hyper-local public policy change — ever since. PR Week and other publications consistently rank Alabama’s APR program among the top five in the nation.
B.B.A., Marketing Management • The University of Memphis
I fell in love with all things marketing while taking courses like consumer behavior, psychology of personality, and advertising at the renowned Fogelman College of Business and Economics. I graduated with a 3.6 GPA in marketing management as well as a minor in foreign language. That study of language sparked a love of words and led me to pursue a career in business communications.
- Best in Public Relations (2012), The 10 Awards given by American Advertising Federation–Birmingham
- Platinum* (2009) and Gold (2010) Hermes Creative Awards given by the Association of Marketing and Communication Professionals (AMCP) for Birmingham Botanical Gardens’ newsletter The Garden Dirt
- Platinum* (2009) Hermes Creative Award (AMCP) for The Gardens’ website, www.bbgardens.org
- Gold* (2010) Hermes Creative Award (AMCP) for The Gardens’ email newsletter, Dirt E-lert
- Platinum* (2011) Hermes Creative Award (AMCP) for The Gardens’ Antiques at The Gardens catalog
*awarded to the botanical gardens’ marketing department
- Passport to Dine Steering Committee (2012), Birmingham AIDS Outreach
- Magic City AIDS Walk Steering Committee (2012)
- PR Chair, Oasis Counseling for Women & Children Junior Board Member (2011–12)
- Rites of Spring Board of Directors, PR Chair (2009-2010)
- Human Rights Campaign Nashville
- Founder, Think Pink Holiday Gala (2004-2006); we earned more than $2,000 for the Memphis chapter of Komen for the Cure.
- Member, Southern Public Relations Federation
- Member, Public Relations Council of Alabama
Available upon request. My LinkedIn profile contains several recommendations as well.